Monday, February 9, 2009

1986 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Standard

I always said "If Harley Davidson builds a good bike I'll buy it" So in 1986 I bought a Electra Glide. I paid $7300 bucks and that was a fair chunk of change for a motorcycle back then. My buddies all thought I was crazy since I had mostly owned Japanese bikes up tell then.
They told me they rattle and parts fall off, they break down and they are slow and on and on.
I knew that 1984 was a change for Harley and the new Evo motor so I gave them 2 years to get it right and they did. I did everything I could to break this bike and when I sold it in 1990 for $9500 I said "This is the first time I've made money on a bike".
I went half way across the United States with Richard who was riding a GL1000. I left him in Yellowstone because I couldn't take him anymore LOL. I drove from there to Tahoe Flat Out in about 10 hours. The bike would only do 97 MPH unless you were going down hill you could get it to go faster and less if you were going up.
Great bike and I'd buy another if they weren't so overpriced but lets face it my ST 1300 will run circles around it but it lacks that cool factor. I guess I've got to find another way to be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment