Wednesday, January 14, 2009

1975 GL1000 Goldwing "Honda"

My 1975 Goldwing was a incredible bike. I drove it across the United States shortly after getting it. Dave a good buddy (bought my 79 CBX) and I headed out Hwy 80 heading for New York. Along the way we met up with a guy on a KZ400 who had come from New Jersey to California just to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge. He met a girl on the beach in California and she gave him a kitten. He was traveling back home with the kitten in his back pack and we traveled with him to Chicago. He convinced us to head south and not go to New York telling me my bike would be stolen the first time I turned my back. We went with his suggestion and I've regretted it ever since. Never been to New York but I will.
Funny thing about owning the first model of a bike and for me I always would get the first one the dealer got. Half the fun was riding a bike that everyone was waiting to see on the street. I got a lot of attention and with my Goldwing and as I was driving it home from the dealer I got pulled over by a Walnut Creek Cop. Wondering what I did wrong he got out of his car and quickly came up to me on the bike and said " I'm really sorry but I had to see your bike". We talked for an hour and he let me go on my way. Great bike that felt as if it was electric rather than gas powered. Smooth like no other bike I had ever ridden. I was 19 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment