Sunday, January 4, 2009

Jimmy chimes in on his first bike

A 1975 Honda 360 Scrambler, brand new. Took my brother down to San Jose Honda so he could ride it back. It took a good day to learn how to ride. My Dad never said a word. I put 38000 miles on it. Rebuilt the engine once. In 1978, I loaded it up and took it to San Diego State. I rode it back up I-5 to WC one winter day to see friends for a weekend. Wore one sweatshirt under a jean jacket, one pair of jeans, no gloves. It lightly snowed over the Grape Vine. It took me 12 hours to get home. I pulled in at 1;30 in the morning. My Dad had to lifted me off of the bike in his robe. He never said a word. I never forget it.
The next bike was a Honda CL 900. I put almost 60.000 miles on it. I sold it right after the "Groveland crash".
Yes, I was there. I saw it all. Tomm, 20 feet in the air, spinning head over heels with his arms and legs out stretched and his CBX corkscrewing straight up another 15 feet above him and a Ford LTD stopped dead on the highway. I knew right then that my touring days were over.
Thanks Jimmy
Yes it happened and was one of my only (Knock on wood) major street crashes. It was a 1980 CBX and another friend Dave was driving my 1979 CBX which I had sold to him. I broke both wrists and tore up my lower shins pretty good. I was unconscious for awhile. I remember waking up in the ambulance asking the EMT (a nice looking young lady my own age) to check my family jewels to my sure they were OK because they hurt big time.
The really bad part was it was Mothers Day and Janeen (my wife) was home pregnant with twins. Took awhile for her to get over that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment