Saturday, January 3, 2009

My First LEGAL Street ride

At 15 1/2 You can legally ride a motorcycle on the street with a permit. I counted down the days and with permit in hand on Feb 20th 1972 at 6:00am I was on the road and legal.
My first ride was up to the top of Mt. Diablo by myself on my Honda 305 Dream. Heaven !!!. I don't think I came home till the sun went down because with a permit you couldn't ride at night or with someone on the back and not on the freeway.
Who cares, you could ride on the street and I had waited for this day for what seemed like forever. I had 2 bikes at this time and the other was a 1970 SL350 which had a hole in the left case from hitting a pole that was bent over in back of Las Lomas High school near the tracks. A dog started to chase me and as I looked back to roost him and didn't see the pole. It stopped me dead and the dog ran away and with a hole in the case and oil pouring out, I got home as quick as I could. The bike was going to be OK but with just a few days to go before I could ride on the street, the bike I was hoping to ride was now out of commission with parts on order. Break out the 305.


It's hard to explain how much I loved riding on the street and still do but for me there is nothing better.

No comments:

Post a Comment